Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hell is Chrome



Lately, I can only stomach the music of Fred Frith and have had patience for little else. Except maybe Thelonious Monk. And Wilco. And The Mars Volta. I've gone several days without really listening to much music and that's not always good for the soul.
I'm intrigued by the new Mars Volta album. Though I have enjoyed their records since De-loused in the Comatorium, once you've heard one album, you've heard them all. Not such a bad thing because the same can be said about a lot of bands that they borrow from: Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson, Santana (that's a bit of an exaggeration: King Crimson's In the Wake of Poseidon sounds nothing like Red). But in January The Mars Volta released The Bedlam in Goliath, their newest "concept" album with all sorts of multi-media ephemera attached to it, B-sides and a drive you plug into your computer with lots of extras. Great concept. I missed out on it on account of me looking for a new job. This band is coming to town soon but my new schedule may conflict with that date.



It's not a real goodbye from your previous job until you've cashed out your 401k. I imagine there's some sort of virtual "fuck you" available somewhere, I just can't access it.
I'm enjoying Wilco right now. Last night we listened to Sky Blue Sky which was the best album of 2007. There is still something subtle and haunted about A Ghost is Born that I always return to. Listening to "Spiders (Kidsmoke)" makes everything okay. What a release.

"he sun will rise, we'll climb into cars
The future has a valley and a shortcut around
Who will wear the crown of drowning award

Hold a private light on a Michigan shore
You fool me with a kiss of kidsmoke
From a microscopic home
It's good to be alone I'll be in my bed
You can be the stone

That raises from the dead

And carries us all home

There's no blood on my hands
I just do as I am told"


Wilco, "Spiders (Kidsmoke)"




No comments: