Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Psychedelic Faves

Since the first film I ever saw, Sisters (by Brian DePalma)I have always loved psychedelic films. The swirling colors and music stimulate my brain in such a way that my mind feels relaxed. Everything shuts down and I am just a gorilla on tranquilizers drooling at all the funny colors and sounds. Having had little success with drugs, I suppose I had to turn to other stimuli to carbonate my cranial fluids. It wasn't until recently I realized films were my mescaline.
I'm thinking of films like PetuliaHead, Yellow Submarine, Performance, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Spirits of the Dead,

The Holy Mountain,
Lizard in Woman's Skin, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls,

...even 2001: A Space Odyssey.


Films by Mario Bava (I'm looking in the direction of Planet of the Vampires, Diabolik, Blood and Black Lace and Lisa and the Devil to name but a few; I loved Bava's film since childhood because of their colors...):



No comments: