Sunday, April 6, 2008

Holy Moses! R.I.P. Charlton Heston





Well, it was his time to return from whence he came. Charlton Heston passed away yesterday and I want to give him an honorable mention. The first film I saw him in was not The Ten Commandments, but Earthquake. The year was 1974 and I experienced this in Sensurround-- that meant that during the quaking scenes the theatre shook and shivered as if you were experiencing it right there. My mom said the experience gave her a headache. For me, Earthquake was my favorite disaster movie after The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno (technically the second film I ever saw). Often times Earthquake is regarded with irreverent contempt. It was an overlong, bloated all-star disaster that actually won an Oscar for Best Sound. But I loved it. Still enjoy it and I could possibly write about it all day. Later in his career, Charlton Heston starred in another disaster pic, Airport '75.
  But let us never forget his greatest achievements: The Ten Commandments, Touch of Evil, Ben Hur, Planet of the Apes (and by that I mean Planet of the Fucking Apes!!), Omega Man, Julius Caesar, etc. Somewhere in there are several of my favorite films of all time. And some of the greatest films of all time.
  Regarding Mr. Heston: I have almost gotten into bar brawls with people, defending his involvement with the NRA. I never really gave a shit what his affiliations were, I just enjoyed his films. I don't think an actor's personal life should impact how we view his art. I mean, Chuck Berry may enjoy peeing on white women, but it doesn't mean I hate his music.

  I want to kneel and praise the King of Disaster Films! He has passed, thus ending the era of all the Master Actors. The era of gentlemen, heroes and holy paladins!

"I've played three presidents, three saints and two geniuses-- that's probably enough for any man."

"It's been quite a ride. I've loved every minute of it."
--Charlton Heston

No comments: